Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail
The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail forms part of MTO Ecotourism. The Trail was South Africa’s first officially accredited hiking trail and has also recently been allocated the Green Flag Certificate for a trail under excellent management. The trail journeys through extensive indigenous forest as well as mountain fynbos. Ancient river gorges and also abundant rivers and streams along this hiking trail in the Tsitsikamma will remind you of the creative power of water as well as the origins of the word Tsitsikamma.
Baboon, vervet monkey, large-spotted genet, bushpig and also bushbuck are often encountered along the route and at overnight huts. Leopard, caracal, honey badger and blue duiker also occur, but are seldom seen. The forests provide ideal habitat for lesser seen bird species, such as rameron pigeon, narina trogon, sombre bulbul, forest buzzard, and colourful sunbirds and flycatchers. The fynbos harbours elusive endemics such as Victorins warbler, protea canary and the Cape siskin.
Hiking Trail Through the Tsitsikamma Mountains
The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail begins in Natures Valley and ends 60km further at either the Storms River Bridge or Storms River Village. This is a six day unidirectional trail that takes hikers thought the heart of the Tsitsikamma Mountains. Each overnight hut has its own unique access route with safe parking and makes shorter variations of the trail possible. You also have the option of a 2, 3, 4 or 5 days trail.
Hiking Trail in South Africa with Equipment Porterage
The Tsitsikamma Mountain Trail offers optional equipment porterage. Your equipment can now be transported between the overnight huts on this spectacular hiking trail in South Africa. Other activities permitted include vehicular and mountain bike access to certain overnight huts and informative guided day walks
Hiking Trail Offering Overnight Accommodation
The Tsitsikamma Hiking Trail is a hiking trail offering comfortable overnight accommodation. The accommodation facilities have been upgraded to an excellent standard and you can truly enjoy magnificent views and relax in comfort at each of the five overnight huts. Route Description and Distances Between Overnight Huts:
- Day 1: Nature`s Valley – Kalander Hut – 3,6 km +- 1 hour 30 minutes
- Day 2: Kalander – Blaawkrans Hut – 13,5 km +- 6 hours
- Day 3: Blaawkrans – Keurbos Hut – 13,4 km +- 6 hours
- Day 4: Keurbos – Heuningbos Hut – 13,4 km +- 6 hours
- Day 5: Heuningbos – Sleepkloof Hut – 13,9 km +- 7 hours
- Day 6: Sleepkloof Hut – Paul Sauer Bridge – 3,2 km +- 1 hour
or Sleepkloof Hut – Storms River Village – 5,5 km +- 2 hours
- Our tariffs are R200.00 per person who over night in at any of the five huts
- A day hike along the Tsitsikamma Trail will cost R50.00 per person per day
- Should you wish your groups equipment to be transported between overnight huts the cost will be R825.00 per hut for the first 5 people and then R165.00 per person thereafter additional up to 24 persons maximum per hut.
This listing can also be viewed on the Lalakoi Business Directory
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.